Monsanto Chianti Classico Annata

Grapes: Blend of Sangiovese, Canaiolo and Colorino

Style: Full-bodied dry

The heart of Italy is Tuscany and the heart of Tuscany is Chianti. With its medieval hill towns, its beautiful cities and magnificent architecture, it can also boast some of the world’s greatest wine. The Classico zone is the central part of the Chianti wine region and the Monsanto estate has become one of the best known and most highly regarded. The first of their wines is the Annata. First produced in 1990, it is made from younger vines.  Sangiovese constitutes 90% of the blend with remaining 10% of Canaiolo and another primarily Tuscan grape Colorino. As its name suggests, the latter has dark properties which are exploited in red blends such as this. The must is vinified in steel tanks at controlled temperatures with délestage and pumping over for about 20 days. The wine is then aged in 38 hectoliters oak barrels. Ruby red in the glass, red fruit and hints of herbs and smoke appear on the nose. Full-bodied and well-structured with a fine, long finish. Ideal with red meats, poultry and pasta.  Or, when in Tuscany, try with a Bistecca alla Fiorentina.

If you are new to Northwestern Wine, you are welcome to try a sample of this wine. You can order your samples on the website or contact us by email.

Contact

Our Social Links